You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212994  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 212994
Location: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, STRETFORD ROAD (south side)
  URMSTON, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 30 June 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 June 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

URMSTONMANOR AVENUESJ 79 SE(south side)(SJ 7694 SE)5/32Church of

URMSTON MANOR AVENUE SJ 79 SE (south side) (SJ 7694 SE) 5/32 Church of - St. Clement - II Church. 1868. By J. Medland Taylor, north aisle 1873-5 by J. and H. Taylor, lengthened to west 1887-8 by Whittenby and Mather and tower added 1899-1903. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and aisles with chancel, vestrys and north- west tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay south aisle with weathered buttresses, 2-light windows, a lean-to roof and a timber- framed porch. North aisle, below tall pitched roof, has alternating 2 and 3-light windows and weathered and gableted buttresses. Square pinnacles at corners. The east end of the north aisle has a circular window divided by vertical stone mullions in an unexpected manner. An ornate decorative octagonal bell turret with conical roof was partly obscured by the later north aisle. It rises above the pulpit. Short chancel with 3-light east window. 4-stage tower with angled weathered and gableted buttresses, north doorway, 2-light windows, clock-faces in front of a blind arcade, 3 cusped lancet belfry openings on each side and a coped parapet with corner pinnacles. 2-light transomed west window flanked by lancet windows. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade arches, considerably taller on the north side, on circular and octagonal columns only one of which has a carved capital. Cusped chancel arch. Scissor-braced roof trusses. Cusped arched canopy and columned niche to left of carved timber pulpit. Stalls, pews and carved reredos. Stone bowl font. Stained glass, some by Shrigley and Hunt. The church has many of the unusual characteristics and qualities for which the Taylors are renowned.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.