© Mr James A. Ray
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, AIGBURTH ROAD
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr James A. Ray
14 March 2003
12 July 1966
Date of last amendment:
12 July 1966
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 38 NE AIGBURTH ROAD
7/34 Church of
12.7.66 St. Anne
Church, 1836-7. Cunningham and Holme, with chancel and
transepts added 1853. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave.
West tower flanked by baptistry to north and stair bay to
south (ritual west is actual east). Transepts with stair
bays in angles, 3-bay chancel with organ loft to north,
vestry to south. Sill band, impost band, cornice, with
corbels to western parts, and parapet. Nave windows are
round-headed with shafts, between pilaster buttresses. West
entrance has round head, 2 orders of columns, arch has beak
head mouldings. Blind arcading over and diapered gable.
Clock face has rose motif, with grotesque heads. Paired 2-
light bell openings. Top cornice with corbels and parapet
with blind arcading. Transepts have 3 windows, cornice and
stepped windows to gable. 3-light chancel window with rose
motif, south side has windows of 3 round-headed lights.
Vestry has 2 paired windows of 3 round-headed lights.
Interior: West gallery and galleries in transepts have blind
arcading. Nave roof has collars, transepts with hammer beam
roof. Chancel arch of 2 orders with zig zag ornament. East
window has shafts to mullions. An early example of