No Image Available
HIGH LIGHT (LIGHTHOUSE ATTACHED TO REAR WING OF NUMBER 8), BATH TERRACE (BACK LANE)
BLYTH, BLYTH VALLEY, NORTHUMBERLAND
15 July 1987
Date of last amendment:
15 July 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BLYTH BATH TERRACE
NZ 3181 SE
12/30 High Light
28.7.50 to rear wing of No.8)
(formerly listed as High
GV II Lighthouse)
Lighthouse, 1780-90, heightened twice in later C19/early C20. C18 part squared
stone, upper parts brick, colour-washed. Slightly-tapered circular tower.
Lower part in 4 stages, divided by bands. Doorway on north, within small added
porch; quatrefoil or cross loops, some blocked, to cardinal points. Upper part
with 2 bands on moulded corbels, 2 windows to south. Flat roof has railing
with knobbed spiral standards.
Interior: C18 part has stone newel stair; ladders in top section.
The lighthouse was worked in conjunction with the Low Light (rebuilt 1936)
until 1985, when it was superseded by modern navigation aids on a different
alignment and repainted mushroom instead of white.