© Mr Kenneth Robinson
BELSAY NEW CASTLE,
BELSAY, CASTLE MORPETH, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Kenneth Robinson
12 September 2003
27 August 1952
Date of last amendment:
22 August 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
26/18 Belsay Hall
27.8.52 (formerly listed as
Belsay New Castle)
Country house. 1810-17. By and for Sir Charles Monck with some assistance
from John Dobson. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Greek Doric style. 100 ft.
square with lower kitchen wing attached to north side. 2 storeys, 7 x 6 bays.
Set on a stylobate of 2 steps.
Entrance side, 7 bays with angle pilasters, recessed 3-bay centre with giant
columns in antis. Completely plain openings with tall 12-pane sashes on ground
floor, and 6-pane above. Giant entablature with boldly-projecting cornice.
Shallow-pitched hipped roof with corniced ridge stacks.
Garden front 6 bays with angle pilasters and pilasters framing middle 4 bays.
Similar windows and entablature.
Interior. Central hall, based on the atrium of a Greco-Roman house, is
surrounded by fluted Ionic columns on ground floor and Greek Doric columns
above with palmette necking. Staircase up right side has elaborate brass
balusters and between 1st floor columns brass railing with acanthus scrolls
and ornate brass lampholders. Top lit by glazed coffered ceiling.
The library also has a coffered ceiling and a deep plaster frieze with 2 bands
of Greek Key and a band of palmettes. Fireplace, of yellow scagliola with
white marble capitals, has Doric columns in antis.
Dining room has marble fireplace with Doric columns. Similar frieze and
Many other rooms have fireplaces and friezes with Greek detail.
Large tunnel-vaulted cellars.
Belsay: English Heritage: HBMC: 1984.