© Mr Steve Miller
AYDON CASTLE MAIN BUILDINGS AND COURTYARD WALLS,
CORBRIDGE, TYNEDALE, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Steve Miller
22 May 2006
24 May 1988
Date of last amendment:
24 May 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
19/97 Aydon Castle.
and courtyard walls
Fortified Manor house. Solar and east wing c.1280, hall (replacing earlier
structure) slightly later. North-west range and courtyard wall probably
associated with licence to crenellate granted to Robert de Raymes 1305. North-
west range remodelled early C14, outer bailey later C14. Minor alterations in
C16, C17 and C19. C13 parts good-quality squared stone, later additions coursed
rubble with dressings; stone slate roofs.
Original C13 buildings cruciform in plan, on edge of steep valley side. North-
west range and courtyard north of hall. Irregular outer bailey to north and
west, with gateway to north-west and apsidal tower at north corner.
C13 parts have chamfered plinth, and eaves string with stone drain spouts.
Stepped clasping buttresses to south and east, and garderobe projection at
south-east corner of east wing. Early C14 crenellated parapets. Shouldered-
arched doorways to hall block; door to solar undercroft dated 1653 with initials
WC HC (William and Henry Collinson). Ground floor windows mostly chamfered
loops; some inserted C19 sashes. External stone stair on north of hall to
landing with balcony on moulded corbels; chases of 2 former canopies in stonework
above. Hall doorway has double-chamfered pointed arch with moulded hood. Hall
and solar have 2-light windows with twin lancet lights under pointed arches with
moulded hoods; solar north window has quatrefoil in spandrel enclosing bearded
mask. East wing has single-light windows, that to east with foliage hoodmould
stops. Two projecting stacks on east of solar, upper parts rebuilt C20. Stack
on south of hall has semicircular top with pointed vents and pyramidal cap at
eaves level. North-west wing has scattered fenestration, with shouldered heads
to several doorways and 2-light windows; doorway on north with lintel inscribed
Interior: C13 parts have good contemporary fireplaces to solar and solar
basement, simpler fireplace in hall basement. Barrel vault in north-west range
is probably C17 insertion. Stone-walled screens passage in hall is later
medieval replacement of timber partitions; chamber to west, and room above, have
fireplaces with C16 Carnaby arms. Chamber in east wing with wall cupboard, sink
and garderobe; further cupboards and sinks in north-west (kitchen) range.
2-light windows in hall and solar have window seats. C17 hall roof has principal-
rafter trusses with collars. North-west range has roof with curved principals,
Courtyard wall has segmental-pointed gateway and crenellated parapet with arrow
loops in merlons; square-headed doorway in north-west range gives access to wall
An exceptionally well-preserved building unique in the County. Its interpretation
has aroused some controversy, as to whether the house was planned as two dwellings
since functions on ground and 1st floors seem to be duplicated.
Northumberland County History X (1910) 350-366 (W.H. Knowles).