You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 253414  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Cotterill

IoE Number: 253414
Location: HAM COURT, MILL STREET (north side)
  BAMPTON, WEST OXFORDSHIRE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Derek Cotterill
Date Photographed: 11 September 2007
Date listed: 12 September 1955
Date of last amendment: 12 September 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP3003-3103BAMPTONMILL STREET(North side)13/104Ham Court12/09/55

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON MILL STREET (North side) 13/104 Ham Court 12/09/55 GV II* Gatehouse and part of curtain wall of early C14 castle built for Ayrner de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who obtained licence to crenellate 1315. Adapted to dwelling C17, with mid-late C19 extension. Coursed limestone rubble, part ashlar, with stone slate roofs and ashlar chimneys. Gatehouse lies on east-west axis with contemporary lodging bay adjacent to north and C19-C20 extension in north-west angle. Running south from gatehouse is short length of curtain wall which masks larger C19 extension on east side. Forms house of 2 storeys and attic. Gatehouse has large archways with moulded labels, infilled with rubble and ashlar late C17. Infill is pierced by stone mullion windows, those to first floor late C17, of 3 lights, with ovolo mouldings. Similar 4-light window with Tudor hoodmould to ground floor on east side; C19 matching 3-light window with hollow chamfers on west side. West side of gatehouse projects, and has chamfered plinth, C14 flanking set-back buttresses, and C17 gable with 3-light leaded casement. Immediately above arch on west side is a horizontal slit with sloping ducts, possibly for drawbridge cables. East side has octagonal stair turret projecting to left, with battlemented parapet, trefoil-headed slit windows, and octagonal pyramid roof with weathervane. To right is C14 bay with contemporary 2-light traceried window to first floor. This window has arched head with label, cusped ogee tracery, and hollow mouldings. Below are a C19 3-light stone mullion window and a C19 half-glazed door. 2 gabled roof dormer; with 2-light casements. Curtain wall has chamfered plinth, wide battlements with slated coping, and 2 bays of cross slits. Upper right part of wall reconstructed C19. Behind is C19 extension, of 2 storeys, with first floor band course, coped gables and stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds. South side has large canted bay window to left; north side has porch with door in Caernarvon arch. C19 and C20 lean-to extensions at north end of house are small and have tiled roofs. Interior: gatehouse arches are moulded, the east arch of 2 orders, the west with one moulded order and rebates for gates. Side walls of east bay of gatehouse have small arched doorways with similar mouldings. Gatehouse also retains fine 2-bay vault with chamfered ribs and carved bosses, and stone spiral staircase to attic. First floor of C14 lodging bay has original fireplace with moulded stone jambs and stone hood on moulded brackets. Heavy stop-chamfered ceiling beams. C17 fireplace inserted to first floor of gatehouse, with chamfered stone arch. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p433; Country Life: July 19th 1946, pp120-121)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.