You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 258922  

Print Page

© Mr James Leach

IoE Number: 258922
Photographer: Mr James Leach
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 13 June 1958
Date of last amendment: 18 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 3514ALBERBURY WITHALBERBURYCARDESTON C.P.12/17Alberbury Castle, remains13.6.58of [formerly listed asFitzwarine Tower

SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY CARDESTON C.P. 12/17 Alberbury Castle, remains 13.6.58 of [formerly listed as Fitzwarine Tower (Alberbury Castle)] GV II* Castle, remains of. Probably early C13, for Fulk Fitz Warin (III). Coursed Alberbury breccia with red sandstone dressings and evidence of former limewashing. Remains of 2-storey keep to south-west (probably formerly with first-floor hall) and irregularly-shaped bailey to north-east bounded by wall approximately 175 metres long, 3 metres high, and one metre wide. Keep: very ruinous, with remains of internal first-floor cill string; round- and pointed-arched openings. Walling: battered lower stages with remains of diagonal buttress to north-west and section of chamfered plinth to west; C19 doorway to churchyard at the north-east corner with pointed chamfered arch and nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges; pointed-arched doorway to east with boarded door, round rear-arch with rounded reveals and "1646" inscibed on tympanum; C19 doorway to west with moulded pointed arch and boarded door. Ralph the Fat is the first recorded tenant of the Manor of Alberbury. Fulk Fitz Warin (I) probably succeeded him. The castle forms part of a close group in the village centre with the church (qv) and the garden walls adjoining to the south (qv). County A.M. No.18. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp. 195-6; County S.M.R., no. 270

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.