You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 259098  

Print Page



© Mr Percy Marsh

IoE Number: 259098
Location: MONTFORD BRIDGE,
  BICTON, SHREWSBURY AND ATCHAM, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Percy Marsh
Date Photographed: 03 August 2000
Date listed: 29 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 29 January 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BICTON C.P.MONTFORD BRIDGESJ 41 NW5/37Montford Bridge29.1.52GVII

BICTON C.P. MONTFORD BRIDGE SJ 41 NW 5/37 Montford Bridge 29.1.52 GV II Bridge. 1790-2 (dated 1792), Thomas Telford Engineer. Parapet altered in 1963. Red sandstone ashlar. Three elliptical arches, each with chamfered voussoirs, raised keystones and chamfered-rusticated extrados. Arches divided by wide pilaster strips and semi-circular cutwaters with plinths and band to domed tops. Balustrade to widened footpaths of 1963. C18 wing walls curve out to circular end piers. when the C18 parapet was rebuilt the datestone above the central arch was resited adjoining the south-east end pier; inscribed: "MDCCXCII". The bridge carries the Holyhead Road over the River Severn. This was Telford's first bridge built when he was County Surveyor of Bridges for Shropshire. Telford's estimate was for £5,800. The stone was provided by John Lowden and John Brown from Lord Bradford's quarry at Nesscliffe. Mathew Davidson of Langholm was employed to superintend the work, John Simpson of Shrewsbury was employed as mason, and the contract for building the bridge was awarded to John Carline and John Tilley of Shrewsbury. In the years after 1817 Telford was the engineer for the Holyhead Road improvements. Colvin, pp. 187 and 821; Anthony Blackwall, Historic Bridges of Shropshire, Shropshire Libraries (1985), pp. 24-26; L.T.C. Rolt, Thomas Telford (1958), p. 31; Brian Bracegirdle and Patricia H. Miles, Thomas Telford (1973), p. 18.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.