You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 273311  

Print Page



© Mr Clive Shenton

IoE Number: 273311
Location: BETLEY COURT, DOVECOTE, AND FORECOURT WALLS AND GATES, MAIN STREET (west side)
  BETLEY, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Clive Shenton
Date Photographed: 16 July 2001
Date listed: 13 September 1976
Date of last amendment: 22 April 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BETLEY C.P. MAIN STREET (west side) SJ 7448-7548 10/32 Betley Court, dovecote, and forecourt wails and gates (formerly listed 13.9.76 as Betley Court; dovecote, former stable block, fore- court, grill and gates GV II* Large house, dovecote, walls and gates. Built in 1716 for John Craddock; late C18 additions by George Wilkinson; alterations of 1809 by John Nash; late C19 and early C20 alterations and additions by William Douglas Care. Red and bluechequered brickwork; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks. Roughly square early C18 core facing east. Wilkinson added 2 bows to the south front in 1783 and a north-western wing in 2 phases in 1793 and 1797 and Nash added a third bow to the south front. Caroe built south- west and north-east wings in the late C19 and remodelled the east porch in the 1920's. East front: 2 storey 5-bay front articulated by a first floor band and giant pilasters. Breaking through the moulded eaves cornice is a taller 3-bay centrepiece; the parapet with moulded coping is swept up over a central achievement of arms and is surmounted by 5 urn finials. Late C19 four-pane sashes within C18 openings with gauged brick heads. The late C19 porch was remodelled in the 1920's by Caroe: 2 storeys, 3 bays central entrance bay with raised key and lintel grooved as voussoirs, and narrow flanking bays of similar character. Above is a glazing bar sash window and flanking niches containing statuettes; ramped sides and moulded stone cornice. 2 storey bows to each return of the main house. Set back to the right is Caroe's north-east wing: polychromatic brickwork and hipped roof. 3 storeys; reduced proportions to second floor. 2 bays of glazing bar sashes and a central lateral stack. In front of the C18 house is a courtyard enclosed by early C18 "wrought iron gates with elaborately worked panels and overthrow, the latter incorporating a wreathed monogram; short sections of railings to each side with scrolled crestings; cast iron stanchions. Flanking low brick walls with stone coping which formerly carried iron railings are terminated to left and right by square C19 gate piers. Side walls sweep round to the house and incorporate smaller pairs of gate piers. South front: floor band and eaves cornice continue along this 3:4:3 window front which incorporates a conical roofed 2-storey bow at each end. Central single-storey bow by Nash with 3 French casements, moulded cornice and flat roof; otherwise C19 four-pane sashes within C18 openings. 2-bay south-west wing by Carse attached to the left with similar windows to those of the main house. West elevation: Wilkinson's late C18 north-west wing is of red brick and has a slate roof, hipped to the left. 3 storeys, reduced proportions to second floor; dentilled eaves band. 8 bays of C19 sashes in C18 openings with gauged heads. A single storey octagonal building with C18 glazing bar sashes projects forward to the left. Projecting forward to the right is Caroe's south-west wing: 2 storeys with hipped roof; square bay window to ground floor with moulded stone cornice, and a single 4-pane sash to the first floor. Beyond Wilkinson's range to the left is a 2 storey, 4-bay brick range of various dates which links the house to the dovecote. The dovecote is late C17/early C18. Red brick with blue brick headers (Flemish bond); hipped slate roof and octagonal cupola with lead covered dome and iron weathervane. It has oval lights at first floor level and a moulded eaves cornice. Interior: early C18 Imperial staircase of oak with open string and carved tread ends, fluted balusters and wreathed hand rail. The stairwell has wall panelling and plaster ceiling by Caroe. The 3 ground floor rooms of the south side of the house have plaster cornices.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.