You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 274471  

Print Page



©  Peter Karry ARPS

IoE Number: 274471
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS,
  ILAM, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Peter Karry ARPS
Date Photographed: 23 August 2001
Date listed: 01 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 15 SWILAM C.P.ILAM PARK8/113Church of the Holy Cross1.2.67.

SK 15 SW ILAM C.P. ILAM PARK 8/113 Church of the Holy Cross 1.2.67. G.V. I Parish Church. The core is probably C11, partly rebuilt in C13 and extended in 1618 and 1831; the church underwent major restoration in 1855-6 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; clay tile roofs with bands of shaped tiles and coped verges. West tower; 3 bay nave; Chancel; North aisel; NE and SE chapels; West Tower: C13 lancet to ground floor on South side; restored West window of 2 trefoil headed lights; 2 trefoiled belfry openings to each side Saddleback roof. Nave: South side has 1 tall C13 lancet to the left and a restored C14 window of 3 trefoil headed lights beneath a square head to right; this encroaches on a blocked, probably Anglo-Saxon, round headed doorway; C19 gabled porch to left. Chancel: The East window of 1855-6 has 3 cusped, graded lancets framed by nook shafts with naturalistic foliage to the capitals and a continuous hood mould terminating in busts of a king and queen. North Aisle: Late C13 style windows of 2 cusped lights with pointed trefoil above; door to right; West window tracery incorporates a 6-lobed star. N E Chapel: 1831. Octagonal plan; biggest feature of church and almost free-standing; windows have 4-centred arches, cusped, intersecting tracery and hood moulds; each of the 4 northernmost faces has a trefoiled head loop. Buttresses at the angles terminate in small gables decorated with buses. S E Chapel: St Bertram's Chapel. Date over south door presumably refers to restoration of former Charity Chapel. "RM/RP1/NH/1618". Windows have square heads with ogee and sunken spandrels; Tudor arch doorway with hood mould terminating in busts. Interior: North arcade by Scott: cylindrical columns with moulded bases and capitals; roll moulding and roll and fillet moulding to pointed arches; naturalistic foliage at springing point. Chancel arch by Scott, pointed with 3 orders of moulding: roll, kell, and roll and fillet; engaged colums with naturalistic foliage to capitals; hood mould terminating in busts of a queen and a bishop. Tower arch: Pointed and chamfered arch springing from corbels. Nave roof is of crown post construction with scissor bracing, bolted rather than jointed. Chancel: Reredos by Scott; small aumbry on N side; wagon roof. David Pike Watts Memorial Chapel: Moulded vaulting ribs springing from corbels with angels carved on them; bosses along the ridge rib with armorial bearings surrounded by naturalistic foliage; frieze around foot of walls consisting of lozenge shapes containing quatrefoils. Fittings: Font Romanesque, probably C12, circular bowl with figures carved on sides. Rood screen and screen on South side of Chancel; designed by Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry; wrought iron with arrangements of flowers and foliage with arches and quatre- foils in the squares. Monuments: Meverell Monument: Alabaster; 2 reclining figures coats of arms to side and end of chest tomb. Inscribed: "HERE LYETH Y BODIES / OF ROBERT MEVE / RELE ESQV. & ELIZ / HIS WIFE DAUGiiTER / TO S. THO. FLEMING / KNI.T & LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF Y KINDS / BENCH BY WHO HE / HAD ISSUE ONLY ONE / DAUGHT WHO MARRIED THO. LORD CROMWELL( VISCONTE LE GAILE / WCH."ROBERT DIED THE 5TH OF FEBR . AN ° 1626 / & ELIZAB TH / DEPARTED 5TH OF AVGVST 1626". Above is a wall monument depicting Meverell's daughter and her three young children all kneeling within an aedicule of Corinthian columns supporting a semi-circular arch; surmounted by a pedestal with upraised hand brandishing a sword, shields to either side. Shrine of St Bertelin: probably C14; open quatrefoils to sides and ends of chest. David Pike Watts Memorial by Sir Francis Chantrey: Male figure sitting up to receive a kneeling female figure. and 3 children; chest tomb below has panelled sides with armorial bearings. A large and impressive piece of sculpture.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.