© Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
ARUNDEL, ARUN, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
15 July 2002
26 March 1949
Date of last amendment:
26 March 2049
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. Arundel Castle
TQ 0107 1/1 26.3.49.
Lower part of gatehouse possibly late C11, built for Roger de Montgomery, who
was granted Arundel by William the Conqueror.
Middle stage of gatehouse, keep, and cellars under south-east range appear (stylis-
tically) to date from late C12; possibly from tenure of Earl William de Albini.
Barbican, upper stage of gatehouse, north-west buttress, and well tower to keep,
appear (stylistically) to date from late C13, possibly from time of Richard, 1st
Earl of Arundel, who received the grant of a fair to help repair the castle
[A Tipping: English Homes, I). Curtain and towers round north end also mediaeval,
but of uncertain date, and restored in late C19 [photograph showing unrestored
condition in possession of Arundel Society].
North-east range may have been rebuilt in early C16 [painting in Arundel Castle],
possibly by William, 11th Earl of Arundel [Tipping: op.cit.]. The general form
of this range is the same as in the early C16.
James Gibbs supplied plans for the 8th Duke of Norfolk (who died in 1732) [Gibbs
MSS]. This may have been for the south-east range [plan before late C18 rebuilding
illustrated in Dallaway "History of Western Sussex": 1836].
North-east, south-east and south-west ranges rebuilt by 11th Duke (succeeded in
1786, died in 1815), keeping to existing outline of buildings [cf. Hollar's view
of Arundel, c.1640], Architect initially Francis Hiorn, who died in 1789. Then
James Teasdale, otherwise unknown, who signed the plans for the rebuilding illustrated
in Dallaway [op.cit.]. (A John Teasdale the Elder, of Greystoke, Cumberland,
supplied sculpture for the 11th Duke from 1790 onwards [Gunnis: Dictionary of
British Sculptors]). Of this rebuilding only the Library, completed in 1801 [Clifford
Musgrave: Arundel Castle], survives. The campaign was completed by 5th June 1815,
when the Baron's Hall was first used [Dallaway: op.cit.].
Chapel, Baron's Hall, remainder of south-west range, all of south-east range apart
from cellar, and all of north-east range above, and north of the library, rebuilt
1890-1903. Architect Charles Alban Buckler. This rebuilding was largely a thorough-
going purge of all the details, substituting C13 ones for Teasdale's C15 ones.