© Dr John Airlie Hunter
STABLES AND RIDING SCHOOL 100 YARDS NORTH EAST OF STONELEIGH ABBEY,
STONELEIGH, WARWICK, WARWICKSHIRE
Dr John Airlie Hunter
16 September 2004
30 November 1982
Date of last amendment:
30 November 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
6/271 Stables and Riding School
100 yards north-east of
30.11.82 Stoneleigh Abbey
Stables. 1814 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Red sandstone ashlar in neo-Tudor
style. The stable range is D shaped on plan with the stables in half circle to
north with coach houses, tack room, feed stores, grooms' cottages along east-west
axis to south. Internal cobbled courtyard. The main entrance is on the west
and consists of a two storey central section with four-centre archway with hood
mould and large wooden doors, flanked by single storey wings to left and right.
Projecting octagonal angle pilasters with turrets and embattled parapets. Above
central entrance way a long square headed stone mullioned window of six leaded
lights with drip mould above. Central blocked panel to the window with heraldic
crest. The flanking portions each have a square headed stone mullioned three
light casement with leaded panes and drip mould above. Interior: early C19
wooden stalls with doors to stable range. Rib vaulted ceilings.
Riding School. 1820 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Attached to south of
stables. Red sandstone ashlar with embattled parapet. Low pitched hipped slate
roof. Two storeys. Three 4-centred arches form loggia at ground floor and
three square headed 3-light casements with leaded lights and drip moulds.
Octagonal stair turret at south-west end of facade leads to the first floor
balcony inside at western end.