You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 31943  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 31943
Location: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, HIGH STREET (north side)
  NORTON RADSTOCK, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 19 May 1950
Date of last amendment: 21 December 1979
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5120HIGH STREET(north side)Midsomer-NortonChurch of the Holy Ghost(formerly listed as

1. 5120 HIGH STREET (north side) Midsomer-Norton Church of the Holy Ghost (formerly listed as Roman Catholic Church) ST 6654 4/6 19.5.50 II* GV 2. Roman Catholic. Probably C15. Formerly a tithe barn; patched, restored and converted by Giles Gilbert Scott to include some modern Gothic windows and doorways, but the fabric and several features are original. Red sandstone rubble with limestone dressings and buttresses. Old pantile roof with coped verges. Six bays divided by 2-stage weathered buttresses. Third bay from left has projecting gabled porch with grangers' room over and wide 3-centred elliptical archway (rebuilt) with chamfered moulding. Window above is 2 light Perpendicular with square head, single transoms, original head tracery and replaced rectangular drip-mould. 'Front elevation of porch is faced with limestone ashlar. Right-hand side wall has pointed arch chamfered doorway and exterior wooden steps (modern) and 4-centred arch doorway leading to room over. The wide inner doorway of porch has been blocked and pierced by modern Gothic doorway with ogee hood mould. Original iron door staples remain. Corresponding doorway in rear elevation has also been blocked and shows original oak lintel and iron door staples. Between each buttress is single loop window and there are 3 similar loops in left-hand end gable. Right-hand end gable has 2 modern square head Perpendicular windows and 3 buttresses. Stone cross finials on end gables and porch gable. Interior has open timber roof with arch braces and collar beams, 2 purlins, curved wind-braces between. Loop windows have wide internal splays. Grangers' room has an upper cruck truss and enriched wall plates (concealed). Gilt tabernacle of 1794 from Bavarian Embassy Chapel, Warwick Street, Soho. For further details see Church Guide Book.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.