You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 340714  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Turner

IoE Number: 340714
Location: RUINS OF THE MEDIEVAL THORNHILL HALL IN MOATED ENCLOSURE, IN RECTORY GROUNDS, CHURCH LANE
  DEWSBURY, KIRKLEES, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Turner
Date Photographed: 20 August 1999
Date listed: 30 June 1949
Date of last amendment: 30 June 2049
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DEWSBURY CBCHURCH LANESE 21 NE(Thornhill)SE 256 1896/29Ruins of the medieval

DEWSBURY CB CHURCH LANE SE 21 NE (Thornhill) SE 256 189 6/29 Ruins of the medieval Thornhill Hall in moated 30/6/49 enclosure, in Rectory grounds II Fragments of a manor house. 1450. The moat, also 1450 is still well filled with water. The ruins comprise a fire-place of rubble, lined in brickwork, and part of a wall containing the sill of a large 2-light window and part of the moulded surround. Two, much erroded, limestone eagles on the edge of the water moved in the C19 but said to have been on the site of the gatehouse to the hall. In August 1648 troops of Lady Anne Savile, under Capt. Thos. Paulden defended the hall against the Parliamentary forces under Col. Sir Thos. Fairfax. They were forced to surrender but the hall was accidentally blown up and destroyed. B. Nuttall, A History of Thornhill, 1970.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.