© Mr K. Foster LRPS
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, CHURCH ROAD
BAMBER BRIDGE, SOUTH RIBBLE, LANCASHIRE
Mr K. Foster LRPS
21 May 2000
27 February 1984
Date of last amendment:
27 February 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH ROAD
5/118 Church of St. Saviour
Church, 1817 by Edmund Sharpe,with transepts and chancel 1886 by
T.H. Myres. Stone, slate roof with red ridge tiles. Tower with spire;
nave with transepts; apsidal chancel. Romanesque style: lesenes, Lombard
frieze, round-headed lancets. Tower of 3 elements (2-stage square base,
2-stage octagonal drum, octagonal spire) with circular window at ground
floor and 3 lancets above, a band and frieze to the drum which has a
recessed belfry louvre in each face, and a splayed base to the spire.
Nave now of 5 bays, the 1st on the west side with a segmental headed door
and all others with round-headed lancets; rainwater heads dated 1817.
Transepts have bands on 2 levels, the upper rising as a hoodmould to the
heads of two pairs of round headed windows, above which is a large wheel
window; west transept has a doorway in the re-entrant, east transept has
a squire's door in Norman style; rainwater heads dated 1886. Semi-
circular apse with moulded bands, the upper rising as a hoodmould to 9
round headed windows; apse wall incorporates 3 foundation stones laid by
Mrs. Townley Parker, the Right Hon. Viscount Cranbourne, and
Mrs. G.B. Dewhurst of Oughtrington Park, all dated 17 July, 1886.
Interior: at south end is a glazed screen and a large gallery supported
by 2 iron columns with foliated surfaces, the front panelled, with Royal
Arms in centre; unusual double transept arches rising from a central
shafted column with foliated capital, the outer ends dying at a high
level; ribbed chancel ceiling; east transept has various wall tablets to
Townley Parker family.