© Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS
HORNBY LIBRARY, WILLIAM BROWN STREET
LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE
Mr Brendan Oxlade LRPS
03 June 2001
28 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
28 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ3490 NE WILLIAM BROWN
49/1357 Picton Reading
Room and Hornby
Reading Room and Library.
1875-9 by Cornelius Sherlock. Hornby Library by
Shelmerdine, 1906. Stone. Semi-circular front with
rusticated wall surface with small niches and statues.
Entrance with architraves, consoles and cornice. The whole
raised on a base, and surrounded by a peristyle of fluted
Corinthian columns with enriched frieze, cornice and
balustrade. Domed rotunda roof. Double stair and
balustraded wall enclosing courtyard with iron lampstands.
Interior of reading room has walls lined with shelves, with
2 galleries and projecting bookcases. Iron spiral stairs
railings and light fittings. Central wooden desk with lamp.
Coffered saucer dome with top light. Hornby library: Main
hall of 5 bays with Ionic colonnades. Balustraded balcony,
swept round, ends on Doric columns, with cross arches.
Entablature projects over colonnade with Diocletian windows
above. In corridor outside, bronze plaque commemorating
opening. The reading room is named after Sir James
Allanson Picton, first chairman of the Liverpool Libraries