You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 362661  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 362661
Location: HEIGHLEY CASTLE, HEIGHLEY LANE
  MADELEY, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 14 May 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 74 NEMADELEY C.P.HEIGHLEY LANE2/52Heighley Castle(formerl y listedas Heighley Castle

SJ 74 NE MADELEY C.P. HEIGHLEY LANE 2/52 Heighley Castle (formerl y listed as Heighley Castle Ruins) 17/11/66 II Castle, remains of. Medieval, probably mainly early C13. Only fragments of walling survive, dressed sandstone and uncoursed rubble with facing removed; traces of curtain wall all round site but best preserved on lower south end of motte platform, where there is a section of retaining wall (dressed stone) approximately 8m high by 15m long and a small fragment, perhaps the remains of a tower. Another substantail piece of walling, about 6m high and 5m long, to north-west. The main entrance seems to have been on the west, where there is a well-preserved, partly stone crevetted causeway across the deep rock-cut ditch. What appears to be unauthorised excavation (Summer 1984) by the curtain wall on the south-east has revealed a dressed stone wall(probably part of an entrance) with the corbelled springing of a vault. well ismarked on the Ordnance Survey map, but no trace of it now survives. Impressive earthworks; steep-sided ovalshaped motte surrounded on all sides (except south-east, where defences rely on natural slope) by deep rock-cut ditch with outer bank. The castle was begun by Henry de Audley in 1233. Spectacularly situated and commanding extensive views over surrounding countryside, the ruins are overgrown at the time of re-survey (1984). Scheduled Ancient Monument. V.C.H., I (1908),p. 352.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.