You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 362671  

Print Page



© Mr Clive Shenton

IoE Number: 362671
Location: THE OLD HALL,
  MADELEY, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Clive Shenton
Date Photographed: 13 August 2002
Date listed: 02 December 1952
Date of last amendment: 02 December 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 74 SEMADELEY C.P.POOLSIDE5/60The Old Hall2/12/52

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. POOLSIDE 5/60 The Old Hall 2/12/52 GV II* House. Probably late C16 with considerable later additions and alterations, mostly of late C19 and C20. Timber framed on dressed sandstone plinth, plastered and brick infill; clay tile roofs with central clustered and rebated stack, re-built in engineering brick. Originally cruciform in shape with projecting gabled wings, each of 2 framed bays. 2 storeys and attic; jetties to gables on both upper floors supported on bulbous corbel brackets (those to front on second floor with painted carved decoration); inscribed bressumer (see below) also on front to first floor; close-studding on ground and first floors with single cross-rails; 3- and 4-light leaded casements (the earliest probably being early C19, and the remainder in imitation) to each floor in gables; ledged and nail-studded door (probably C17) in left-hand side of front wing with early C20 lean-to porch (also timber framed) in angle between front and right-hand wings. To the rear of the right- hand wing is a late C19 plum brick range with reconstructed conserv- atory with slender cast-iron columns behind; also behind the rear gable is a 2-storeyed late C20 brick addition and in angle between rear and left-hand wing a reconstructed lean-to extension. Interior: timber frame partly exposed; moulded and bevelled beams throughout with ox- tongue, straight cut and run-out chamfer stops; stone fireplaces on ground floor, C19 panelling with quatrefoils in the front room; several C17 doors and on the first floor a reputed priest's hole; sandstone- walled cellar beneath right-hand wing. Massive double-purlin roof with collar beams and S windbraces. The inscription " 16 WALLK K NAVE . WHAT LOOK EST AT 47 I B" on first floor bressumer of front gable probably does not refer to the building of the house, but may be some kind of warning. The house is said to have had recusant connections in the late C16/C17, which suggest that its original cruciform plan may perhaps have had some allegorical significance (cf, for example, SirWilliam Tresham's Lyveden New Build and Rushton Triangular Lodge [Northants]).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.