You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 368492  

Print Page

© Mr G.N.G. Tingey

IoE Number: 368492
Photographer: Mr G.N.G. Tingey
Date Photographed: 06 June 2000
Date listed: 29 September 1972
Date of last amendment: 30 September 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTON TQ3183NE ALMEIDA STREET 635-1/59/6 (South side) 29/09/72 Almeida Theatre (Formerly Listed as: ALMEIDA STREET Warehouse of Beck's British Carnival Novelties Limited) GV II Former Islington Literary and Scientific Institute; subsequently used as a music hall from 1874, as a Salvation Army citadel from 1890, when the interior was considerably altered, as a warehouse from 1956, and as a theatre from 1980. c.1837 by Robert Lewis Roumieu and Alexander Dick Gough. Built by W.S.Dove. Stucco scored as ashlar, roofs of Welsh slate so far as visible. Two storeys over basement, five bays to Almeida Street forming a symmetrical facade, the middle three bays projecting. In a stripped Classical style, the capitals consisting of rectilinear mouldings simply stepped-out, and pediments of unmoulded blocks. Steps up to original entrances either side of the main front in single-storey wings: flat-arched under porches with antae, entablature and block pediment to blocking course; panelled doors of original design. Additional doors to second and fourth bays, the other openings 4/4 sashes. All openings flanked by pilasters with stepped capitals, the projecting centrepiece flanked by giant antae rising through two storeys. On the first floor the order is the same except that the middle three windows are stepped back to create a distyle arrangement of antae. Entablature and blocking course with central pediment. INTERIOR: in the 1890s the auditorium was reversed in direction from the original lecture hall, and now has a gallery carried on cast-iron columns at the northern end, the balcony being five sides of an octagon in plan with its front face decorated with anaglypta. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division; Almeida Theatre. The building and its past (leaflet)).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.