© Mr Les M. Kedward
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ETHELBERT, CATHEDRAL CLOSE
HEREFORD, HEREFORDSHIRE, HEREFORDSHIRE
Mr Les M. Kedward
03 July 2002
10 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
10 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SO5139NW CATHEDRAL CLOSE
683-1/7/110 Cathedral Church of St Mary and St
Cathedral. C11 to C15, restored and altered by Wyatt,
Cottingham, Sir Gilbert Scott and Oldried Scott. Ashlar
sandstone; lead roofs.
EXTERIOR: north and south aisles and transepts; north-east and
south-east transepts; Lady Chapel and crypt; north porch;
crossing tower; C15 Bishops Cloisters (east and west walks
INTERIOR: notable for stained glass in Lady Chapel, north-east
and north transepts, and south aisle. Norman font with arcaded
figures. Choir stalls, misericordes and other woodwork.
Chained library houses the largest such collection in England
with some 2000 volumes; 5 oak book-cases, c1600; extremely
fine and elaborate choir stalls and bishop's throne of 1375.
MONUMENTS: outstanding are those of Bishop Aquablanca, 1268,
and St Thomas of Cantilupe. Other memorials include: Johanna
de Bohun, 1327; Peter de Grandison, 1352; Richard de la Barr,
1386; Andrew Jones, 1497, & wife; Swinefields, C14; Richard
Rudhall, 1476; Bishop Coke, 1646; Bishop Bennet, 1617; Bishop
Meyew, 1516; Bishop Trelleck, 1360; Dean Frowsetoure, 1529;
Richard de la Mare, 1435; Bishop Charlton, 1343.
Much good C19 work.
(Marshall G: Hereford Cathedral: 1951-; RCHME; Duncumb J:
History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 520-590; Brittan J:
The Cathedral Church of Hereford: 1836-).