© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
MAIN BUILDING AT READING SCHOOL, ERLEIGH ROAD
READING, READING, BERKSHIRE
Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
15 January 2004
19 March 1975
Date of last amendment:
19 March 1975
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Main building at
SU 7272 9/477 19.3.75.
1865-71, designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Gothic style with rigorous symmetry
except for octagonal turret with pyramidal roof to right of central hall.
2 storeys and attics. Built of red brick with blue brick decoration. Gabled
tiled roof with fishscale bands, vents etc designed to add to interest of skyline
as well as chimneys with 3 shafts at joined capping and with tumbled brick.
Terracotta window dressings and details. Diaper panel to 1st floor cill.
Hall:8 bays with 2 stages of pointed geometric tracery windows and dividing
buttresses, corbelled cornice and central vent. Turret projects from north-west
corner with arched louvred openings to belfry stage. Entrance in 2 central
bays with corbelled arches of 3 orders and with decorative wrought and cast
iron gates with wrought iron tympana. Leads through to quadrangle ("Cloister")
at rear. East and west wings have central and end gables and further minor
gables in reflected symmetry. Roughly 11 bays each with plate glass sash windows
1st floor and plate tracery windows on ground floor. Entrances in 5th bay
and in recessed corners to north-west and north-east. Rear elevation equally
symmetrical with projecting double gable wings to sides. The "Cloisters" and
associated buildings are included in this item. They are probably not by Waterhouse
(probably by Charles Smith in the 1880s) in polydrome brick work. The boiler
house chimney springs from the south-east corner of a building with apsed south
end. The interiors of the main block contain many original fittings. Marble
pillar in "cloisters" with foundation stone laid by HRH Prince of Wales 1.vij.
1870. The school has had a long and distinguished history. Re-endowed by
Henry VII in 1488. Archbishop Laud was taught as this school.