You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 389234  

Print Page



© Dr Geoffrey Court

IoE Number: 389234
Location: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, HOYLAKE ROAD (east side)
  BIRKENHEAD, WIRRAL, MERSEYSIDE
Photographer: Dr Geoffrey Court
Date Photographed: 24 July 2006
Date listed: 29 July 1950
Date of last amendment: 29 July 1950
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BIRKENHEADSJ2890HOYLAKE ROAD, Bidston789-1/6/172(East side)

BIRKENHEAD SJ2890 HOYLAKE ROAD, Bidston 789-1/6/172 (East side) 29/07/50 Church of St Oswald GV II Parish Church. Largely 1856 by W. and J.Hay but incorporating late medieval tower and with chancel and possibly north aisle added or remodelled in 1882 by W.E.Grayson. Coursed and squared rubble in large blocks, but randomly coursed in north aisle and chancel. Westmorland slate roof with ridge cresting. Nave with west tower, two aisles and chancel. Early C16 three-stage west tower with angle buttresses. Perpendicular stilted moulded arch to west door with drop ended hood-mould over. Frieze of quatrefoil panels and coats of arms over doorway. 3-light window above with ogival hoodmould continuing as string course. 3-light bell-chamber window in third stage. Embattled parapet with corbel table. North aisle has 2-light Decorated window in west wall, and 2 in north wall. Gabled vestry wing dated 1903 projects, possibly incorporating earlier fabric in its west wall. Paired lancet lights in north wall of short chancel, and 3-light Decorated window with hood mould carried on corbel heads to the east. Small foiled lancet in south wall, and parapet with frieze dated 1882. Gabled porch in south aisle, with chamfered archway. Dated 1593 with date of rebuilding, 1856. Stilted arches to 2-light Decorated windows and small side door with hoodmould over. Interior space has been divided by a new screen leaving exposed a nave of 3 bays. Cylindrical shafts to steeply arched arcade. Nave roof with shallow curved principal trusses with collar. Chancel arch carried on corbels. Sedilia in chancel dated 1882: foiled arches on foiliate corbels. Reredos by Salviati, mosaic Last Supper with wood canopy frieze over. Painted roof with angel corbels over choir, the rest boarded. North aisle has 2-light Decorated window in west wall, and 2 in north wall. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.