You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 391496  

Print Page



© Mr D.H. Bottoms ARPS, CPAGB

IoE Number: 391496
Location: SWING BRIDGE AT EAST SIDE WITH ASHLAR WALLS, HUDSON DOCK (east side)
  SUNDERLAND, SUNDERLAND, TYNE AND WEAR
Photographer: Mr D.H. Bottoms ARPS, CPAGB
Date Photographed: 20 May 2001
Date listed: 08 February 1991
Date of last amendment: 08 February 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SUNDERLANDNZ4157HUDSON DOCK920-1/13/119(East side)

SUNDERLAND NZ4157 HUDSON DOCK 920-1/13/119 (East side) 08/02/91 Swing-bridge at east side with ashlar walls GV II Swing-bridge and ashlar walls at east side of Hudson Dock, at entrance from former sea lock to former south outlet. Dated 1880 on plaque which also names Henry H Wake, C.E., engineer; River Wear Commission; and Andrew Handyside & Co. Ltd., Contractors, Derby and London. Riveted steel girder construction, Ashlar walls. Asymmetrical hog-back arch, pivoting on north lock wall, the shorter arm to the land and the longer swinging to bridge the lock. Central strut from arch to deck has riveted reinforcing plate at foot and diagonal braces from top to feet of adjacent struts; these struts and diagonal braces are repeated along the whole length. Originally operated by hydraulic machinery made by WL Armstrong & Co. of Newcastle upon Tyne. Founder's plate on inner face of west side lattice metal balustrades have elliptical-headed tubular handrails. Bridge pivots on one ashlar wall to close against the opposite wall.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.