© Mr Kenny Li
SHAW HOUSE SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
SHAW CUM DONNINGTON, WEST BERKSHIRE, BERKSHIRE
Mr Kenny Li
19 January 2003
06 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
06 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 46NE SHAW CUM DONNINGTON CHURCH ROAD
7/54 Shaw House School
House, now School. 1581. Red brick with stone dressings and old tile roof.
6 stacks with 2 or 4 diamond shafts with moulded tops and rectangular bases.
Parapet and gables with stone coping and ball finials. H-plan. Basement, 2
storeys and attic. All windows with leaded lights and H-section mullions and
transoms. Plinth with moulded top; and strongly moulded string courses
between floors. South front: 5 gables with 6-light windows and returned hood
moulds in each; and 4 small hipped dormers. 2 projecting wings to right and
left with stacks on return walls. 3 especially large windows to hall on ground
floor to right. Central 2 storey Ashlar porch with Ionic pilasters supporting
entablature with Greek inscription, and triangular pediment, above moulded
arched doorway. 6-light window set back above with string course below; and
above, with Greek inscription. Crowning triangular pediment with 3 finials
and carved face in tympanum. East front: 3 gables with 2 small gabled dormers
between. 2 canted bays with parapets rising to second storey in end bays to
right and left. Large central first floor C18 9-light window breaking into
string course below. Steps to central door with stumpy Corinthian pilasters
supporting entablature and triangular pediment. North front: 5 gables as
south, central porch with Doric pilasters supporting entablature, and
depressed arched doorway below. 2 storey. c.1870 addition with 2 arches on
ground floor each side of porch. 2 stacks to left and right of central gable;
and 2 stacks in return walls of projecting wings. Interior: Mainly late C17
and early C18. Possibly C16 stone fireplace in attic; re-used probably C16
or C17 panelling in c.1870 long gallery to north. 3 rooms with C17 panelling
and C17-C18 fireplaces; gun room on ground floor to south west; King Charles'
room on first floor to south-east and Queen Anne's room with ionic pilasters
and overmantel with blank arcade, on first floor to north-east. All other
rooms with Cl8 panelling and stone fireplaces, including the great hall and
the present staff room to north-east. Staircase hall to east with late C17
3-flight, square well staircase; with twisted balusters, wainscot panelling
and C18 rococo plaster ceiling above. House built for Thomas Dolman, a
local clothier, and used as headquarters by King Charles I during the
battle of Newbury, 1644.
V.C.H. Vol.4. PP.87-88. B.O.E.Berkshire pp.213-214, Murrays Berkshire
Architectural Guide. Betjeman and Piper. 1949. p.141. Country Life.Sept.1910.