© Mrs Julie C Ayres
CHURCH OF ST PETROC MINOR,
ST ISSEY, NORTH CORNWALL, CORNWALL
Mrs Julie C Ayres
14 February 2004
06 June 1969
Date of last amendment:
20 May 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST ISSEY LITTLE PETHERICK
SW 97 SW
4/221 Church of St Petroc Minor
(previously listed as Church of St
6:6:69 Petrock, Little Petterick)
Parish Church, dedicated to St Petroc Minor. Circa C14 origins, restored in 1858 by
William White and in 1908 by Sir Ninian Comper. Slate stone rubble and snecked slate
stone. Slate roofs.
Plan: Circa C14 origins with south aisle rebuilt in 1741. In 1750 the wooden tower
was replaced with a stone tower and the tower was rebuilt again in 1858 by William,
White to orders of Sir Hugh Molesworth (qv Molesworth Manor, Tregonna). White also
extended the north aisle by one bay. During the incumbency of Rev. G.W. Manning
(1862-1876) the walls of the church were covered in stencilled texts. Church
restored by Sir Ninian Comper (patron Athelstan Riley) when the stencils were removed
and the high altar, reredos and rood screen with loft were added. In 1916-1920 a
chapel was added to commemorate Mrs Andelusia Riley.
Exterior: Squat west tower of 2 stages with pyramid roof and weather cock. Carved
corner pinnacles and lancet belfry openings with slate louvers. C19 tracery with
gabled full dormers in south slope of roof. 2 storey vestry in north-east corner with
battlemented parapet and reset 4-centred Catacleuse stone arch to south porch.
Interior: Panelled waggon roof of circa 1825. 5-bay south aisle with moulded 4-
centred arches. C15 font and some C16 bench ends. Furnishings largely of C19.
Royal coat of arms, 1741.
The church is especially outstanding because of the work by Comper which includes a
particularly fine rood screen with loft above, carved by John Parsons of St Teath and
decorated by artists under the superintendence of H.A. Bernard Smith. The high altar
and reredos are also part of Comper's work and are of fine quality. Fine momunent to
Andalusia Riley in memorial chapel to south of chancel.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E. The Building of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970.