You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 428224  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Holcroft

IoE Number: 428224
Location: THE ADELPHI THEATRE, 411 STRAND WC2
  WESTMINSTER, CITY OF WESTMINSTER, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Peter Holcroft
Date Photographed: 12 January 2002
Date listed: 01 December 1987
Date of last amendment: 01 December 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CITY OF WESTMINSTERSTRAND WC2TQ 3080 NWNo 41172/105(The Adelphi Theatre)II

CITY OF WESTMINSTER STRAND WC2 TQ 3080 NW No 411 72/105 (The Adelphi Theatre) II Theatre. Dating back to the Sans Pareil of 1806 with extensions and rebuilds of 1824, 1834, 1846-48, 1858, 1868, the 1880s, 1900-01 until the last major rebuilding of 1930 by Ernest Schaufelberg retaining the side and rear walls, c.f. Nos 18 to 20 Maiden Lane. Terracotta facade to Strand. Angular "moderne" design. Height equivalent to 4 storeys and a 3 bay width. Above fully canopied ground floor with chrome framed glazed doors to foyer, the front has its right hand two thirds recessed as full height broad black painted sign panel and is finished off with parapet, an alteration of 1937, but directly above the canopy,screened by hoarding, is a large, horizontal elongated octagon window with hexagonal and lozenge glazing pattern, that is original to Schaufelberg's design. Interior has long rectangular foyer with 1930s chrome and plaster decor and light fittings: the auditorium is an angular straight sided design with 2 concrete framed cantilevered balconies; squared off faceted proscenium, polished wood flush panelling to walls, upcast house lights etc. For the c. 1868 Royal Entrance and stage door/dressing room block see Nos 18 to 20 Maiden Lane. Survey of London; vol XXXVI The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.