You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 438795  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 438795
Location: THE TOP RANK CLUB (FORMER ESSOLDO CINEMA), CHESTER ROAD
  STRETFORD, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 2003
Date listed: 28 March 1994
Date of last amendment: 28 March 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added:STRETFORDCHESTER ROADSJ 79 SE1482-/5/10004The Top Rank Club

The following building shall be added: STRETFORD CHESTER ROAD SJ 79 SE 1482-/5/10004 The Top Rank Club (former Essoldo Cinema) II Cinema, now club. 1936,by Henry Elder,ofRoberts,Wood and Elder of Manchester, for the Jackson and Newport cinema circuit,with late C20 alterations. Of narrow red brick,with faience tiled facade,with roofs concealed by tall brick walling.Art Deco style. Set-back auditorium,with long foyer passage to Chester Road entrance,and shorter link to side entrance on Edge Road,set amidst contemporary buildings. The Chester Road entrance was designed to resemble a cash register, with stepped convex surfaces curving upwards and backwards,and an attached but advanced rib rising with less curvature designed to carry the vertically-displayed name of the cinema,now bearing the name 'Top Rank.'A projecting band,carved across the face of both curve and rib is the sole horizontal element above the rectangular entrance canopy, which has a modern facsia. This sits above 3 evenly- spaced double doorways,with tile covered flanking walls. Side entrance on Edge Road with tall convex brick wall above a semi-circular canopy,the two components forming a circular entrance area above which rises a substantial tall,grooved concrete column. Directly beneath,supporting the canopy is a curved pier which divides the side entrance area,each part with a pair of original glazed double doors. To the right,a tall recessed panel set between tall brick piers stands above exit doors for the auditorium. Interior; stalls area altered to form a bingo hall, but plan little disturbed, with circle,projection room,upper floor bar,lighting rotunda and a cafe area above the foyer( now with a suspended ceiling) all surviving. Foyer murals,designed by Frederick H. Baines, depicting contemporary cinema scenes,and each 10x6 feet are thoughtto survive behind removable coverings. This was amongst the first, and is the only survivor of Elder's cinemas,a building in which the striking and explicit frontage motifs are held to represent his belief that the film industry of the day was primarily concerned with money and sex. The design represents a dramatic departure from theatre -influenced cinema planning, and acknowledged the different spatial and technical requirements of wide screen cinematography.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.