© Mr Michael J. A. Smith
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET (north side)
CHEADLE AND BRAMHALL, STOCKPORT, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr Michael J. A. Smith
29 July 2001
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 88 NE CHEADLE CHURCH STREET
5/26 Church of
24.3.50 under High Street)
Church. South chapel 1530, nave 1541, tower 1520-40, chancel
1556-8 for Lady Catherine Buckley and porch dated 1634.
Major restoration of 1875-82 and vestry of 1877. Cloakroom
C20. Ashlar with stone slate roof. Nave with aisles,
clerestory, transeptal chapels, south porch, central west
tower and chancel with north vestry/organ chamber. 4-bay
nave and aisles with weathered plinth, weathered buttresses
which are angled at corners, and castellated nave parapet.
3-light C19 windows to bays 1 and 3, 4-light C16 double-
chamfered cavetto-moulded arched-light mullion window to bay
4. Porch in bay 2 has angled buttresses which terminate in
ornate paired pinnacles with grotesque heads. Moulded
surround to basket-arched door which has blind cusped arcade
above. Each bay has 2 3-light mullioned clerestory windows.
3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, moulded bands, clock
in stage 2, 4-light belfry opening with hoodmould,
castellated parapet and grotesque gargoyles. The west door
and window are C19. 2-bay chancel with 2 3-light windows as
above but with arched lights under a square head and a
basket-arched lintel over priest's door. 5-light east window
(C19) with rectilinear tracery. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade
has double-chamfered arches on octagonal columns with
moulded bases and capitals. A 5th smaller bay at the east
marks the position of former rood loft, the door (which
still exists) being served by a rood gallery in the north
aisle. Braced oak camber-beam roof with gilded bosses;
similar enrichment to aisle roof. Chancel arch on half
columns, the north capital bearing a crudely carved head.
Part of rood screen was re-used in the chancel screen and
finely carved C16 oak parclose screens to Savage and
Brereton chapels. Monuments: chest tomb with 2 alabaster
Knights c.1460 and stone recumbent effigy of Sir Thomas
Brereton, 1673, on a tomb chest with shields. C11 cross.
G.V. and J.M. Chivers, The Parish Church of St. Mary,