You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445879  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Miller

IoE Number: 445879
Location: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, SHERBORNE ROAD (west side)
  SOUTH CADBURY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Duncan Miller
Date Photographed: 04 July 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 06 March 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH CADBURY CPSHERBORNE ROAD (West side)ST62NW4/141Church of St Thomas a Becket(formerly listed as Church of St

SOUTH CADBURY CP SHERBORNE ROAD (West side) ST62NW 4/141 Church of St Thomas a Becket (formerly listed as Church of St Thomas of Canterbury) 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 and C15, restored in 1850's and 1870'5. Cary and lias stone, mostly ashlar, with some Doulting stone dressings; plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses to chancel, Welsh slate over stone to nave, both between stepped coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave and south aisle, with north porch, south-east vestry and west tower. Chancel has double plinth mould, eaves course, no buttresses: east window of 3-lights, C19 in C15 style with headtop label; on north side two 2-cusped lights under square labels, probably C15; south-east corner vestry has no plinth but extended string/label course, and latching 2-light windows to those of chancel north side, one reduced in size, and probably reused from chancel south wall; in south-east corner a painted arched doorway in rectangular hollow-chamfered recess. South aisle has plinth, eaves course; two C15 3-light traceried windows of different patterns under arched square stop labels. Nave has a 2-light and a 3-light flat arched window set in hollow chamfered reveals, with projection for pulpit recess which is under a stone roof and has a small window. North porch has double plinth, north gable with cross finial, small east winnow; elliptical arched outer doorway in rectangular recess with foliated and Tudor-rose spandrils, with small ogee cusped light over: similar inner door with plain statue niche over. Tower possibly early C15, and still carried a spire in 1822: stages, with double plinth, string courses, the top with gargoyles, battleiented parapets with crocketted corner pinnacles, angled corner buttresses for full height: north-east square corner stair turret carried higher than remainder of tower, with slit windows each stage: small but wide west door with wave-moulded pointed arch label with headstops; above a 2-light C15 style traceried window, heavily restored, with very slight label mould; elsewhere stages 1 and 2 plains to each face stage S a 2-light traceried 2-light window in hollow chamfered reveal without label. Interior has work of many periods. Chancel has 1874 rib and panel barrel vault roof, and east window probably same date; panelled C15 chancel arch, squints formerly to both sides; furnishings C19, but including reredos sculpture of the crucifixion, by Earp of Lambeth installed in 1780. Nave has C15 timber rib and plaster panel vault ceiling with bosses and angels; arcade into south aisle, with 4-shaft columns, basically c1280, the end shafts having turned mouldings; tower arch to match; recess for C19 pulpit, font also C19. South aisle largely rebuilt 1853, but incorporates a C14 piscina, above which are the remains of a window jamb with fragment of medieval wall painting of a bishop, possibly Thomas a Becket. Glass in east window by Clayton and Bell 1874. No significant memorials. First recorded rector 1265. (Anon, South Cadbury, A Brief Guide with Historical Notes, Undated; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.