No Image Available
B BLOCK, CASTLE SQUARE
CHESTER CASTLE, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
26 February 1985
Date of last amendment:
26 February 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 4065 NW CHESTER CASTLE CASTLE SQUARE
4/606 B Block
Armoury now Officers' Mess. 1804. By Thomas Harrison of Chester. Cuyper
sandstone ashlar from the Manley quarries and Bunter sandstone ashlar with slate
roofs and lead flashings. Two storeys. Facade facing Castle Square: 9 bays
with high projecting plinth supporting monolithic ½-columns of Greek Doric form
between bays and at the ends. These support a projecting plain entablature with
parapet above resting on slightly projecting plinth and divided by projecting
piers. Between the floors and set between the ½-columns is a series of plain
panels with moulded surrounds forming a sort of decorated band. Central ground
floor double doorway with doors of 3 panels each with rectangular overlight.
Moulded surround and pedimental overdoor supported on fluted consoles which
terminate in roundels. Ground floor sash windows to either side of 3 x 4 panes
(as are all the ground floor windows of the block) here with aedicular surrounds
of compressed entablature supported by fluted consoles. First floor sash
windows of 3 x 2 panes. Arch way adjoining front at left and joining with
lateral colonnade of Assize Courts Block (q.v.), of rusticated stone with
segmental arch, dentilled cornice and central panel to parapet with moulded
surround. Left hand side: 3 bays. Slightly projecting high plinth; panel
between floors and entablature as at front. Central double ground floor doors
with rectangular fanlight above and blank windows to either side. Central sash
window to first floor of 3 x 3 panes with blank windows to either side. Right
hand side of 3 bays with plinth, panel and entablature as at left. Blank
central window with sash windows to either side of 3 x 4 panes. First floor
central window 3 x 2 sash panes with blank windows to either side. The front
and side elevations were paid for by the county, the rear by the government. Of
major importance as an element in the composition formed of the Assize Court
Block, Propylaea and A and B Blocks.
Sources: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of
the Architectural, Archaeological and His-
toric Society, Chester and North Wales.
New Series Vol.XXVI Part II.
Nikolaus Pevsner and - The Buildings of England : Cheshire.
J Mordaunt Crook - "The Architecture of Thomas Harrison".
Country Life, 22 April 1971.
Moira A R Ockrim - "Thomas Harrison and the Rebuilding of
Chester Castle: A History and Reassessment".
Journal of the Chester Archaeological Society.