© Mr Michael J Tuck
AGRICOLA TOWER, INNER BAILEY
CHESTER CASTLE, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Mr Michael J Tuck
24 June 2001
26 February 1985
Date of last amendment:
26 February 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 4065 NW CHESTER CASTLE INNER BAILEY
4/609 Agricola Tower
Castle gate-tower with chapel to first floor. Late C12/Early C13 with additions
and alterations after 1302 and refacing by Thomas Harrison of 1818 with further
repairs of 1923 and 1952. Bunter sandstone ashlar with metal roof. Three
storeys. South-western front: Central pointed gate arch with stepped reveals
and voussoirs now glazed. Slightly projecting turrets to right, clasping
buttres at left, common to the other two corners. Both have some stonework of
pre-1818 date. Signs of later gabled abutment to tower. Offset above lower
stage. Pointed lancet to first floor with voussoirs and iron grille. Rectangu-
lar windows to right hand staircase turret. Battlemented parapet with chamfered
coping. A C19 single storey provost block adjoins to the left (not included in
this item). Right hand reveal: projecting staircase turret to left has one
blocked light. Central second floor square window. Left reveal: blind and
entirely refaced in 1818. Rear: projecting buttresses to left and right of
centre. Blocked arch to recessed central wall. One rectangular ground floor
window. First floor lancet to chapel and blocked window to second floor.
Interior: Entrance ground floor passageway altered after fire of 1302. Sexpar-
tite vault with chamfered ribs resting on chamfered attached pillars with simple
chamfered abacus capitals and chamfered bases supported on raised plinth.
Pointed arch to stair turret at south of south-eastern wall. First floor:
(Chapel of St Mary de Castro). Three round wall pillars with moulded bases and
water leaf capitals to south-eastern and north-western walls supporting two
quadripartite vaults with keel-moulded ribs. Pointed altar recess to north-
eastern wall. Aumbry with pointed arch to right of this. Pointed door arch to
right of centre of south-eastern wall set in projecting portion of wall has keel
Sources: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of the
Archaeological, Archaeological and Historic
Society, Chester and North Wales. New Series,
Vol.XXVI, Part II.
Nikolaus Pevsner - The Buildings of England : Cheshire.
and Edward Hubbard