© Mr Michael J Tuck
CURTAIN WALL EARLIER REMAINS INCLUDING SALLYPORT AND HALFMOON TOWER, INNER BAILEY
CHESTER CASTLE, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Mr Michael J Tuck
24 June 2001
01 June 1967
Date of last amendment:
26 February 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 4065 NW CHESTER CASTLE INNER BAILEY
4/611 Curtain Wall to west and
south-west of Inner
Bailey (formerly listed
as Curtain Wall, earlier
Sallyport and Halfmoon
Curtain wall. After 1246 with C18, C19 and C20 additions and alterations.
Bunter sandstone ashlar. Forming western side of a rectangular enclosure with a
rounded corner to the south-west. Set on Saxon defensive mound at west.
Western front: Half-moon tower at extreme left; semicircular in plan with
battered lower level. C19 sash windows to ground and first floors facing north
and east. Battlemented parapet above. Low wall extending to left linking up
with the rear of B Block (q.v.). To the right the curtain wall extends with a
battlemented parapet and 2 early C19 horizontal gun slits. At the south-western
curved corner are a series of three buttresses with offsets. Blocked door to
ground floor level between second and third of these from left. Tower to right.
Slightly projecting. The height of the wall diminishes via an offset at right
of this tower but the wall extends considerably lower as the earth mound dies.
Arched doorway to right approached by flight of C20 concrete steps leading to
salyport steps. Southern curtain wall of 1786 adjoins to right (q.v.). Rear:
Arched sally port stairway exists at left with stairway up to ramparts immedi-
ately to right of it. Brick inner face of wall at right of this with stone
walkway to ramparts with C20 iron railings. Flag tower projects at centre: two
storeys of Bunter sandstone with central ground floor doorway and two openings
to first floor, that at left with round arch, that at right with cement lintel.
To right is projecting early C19 house on the site of the Frobisher's workshop
and abutting the rear of the half-moon tower. Now of three bays, though
originaly extending further left. Entrance front: stucco rendered on three
bays. Horned sash windows to first floor with stone cills. Lateral ground
floor doors with central bowed oriel of 4 x 4 horned sash panes. Jagged wall at
left indicating recent demolition.
Source: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of the
Architectural, Archaeological and Historic
Society, Chester and North Wales. New Series
Vol.XXVI, Part II.