© Dr Eric Ritchie
MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION, CARRINGTON STREET (east side)
NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Dr Eric Ritchie
09 August 2006
12 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
12 July 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK5739SW CARRINGTON STREET
646-1/23/87 (East side)
12/07/72 Midland Railway Station
Railway station. 1903-1904. By AE Lambert for the Midland
Railway Co. Structural steelwork and cast-ironwork by
Handyside & Co. and the Phoenix Foundry, both of Derby.
Terracotta and red brick, with glazed and slate roofs. Baroque
PLAN: frontage forming porte-cochere, booking hall and
offices, platform buildings, overbridges, Transport Police
offices. Main frontage and booking hall span the tracks, and
are linked to the platforms by stairs and lifts. Covered
overbridges and stairs link the platforms.
EXTERIOR: frontage has plinth, dentillated cornice,
balustrade, rusticated columns, windows with cornices or
pediments in Gibbs surrounds, pedimented doorways. carriage
entrances have good Art Nouveau wrought-iron gates.
Symmetrical front, single storey, 9 bays, has central domed
clock tower, 2 stages, with paired Tuscan columns and
pedimented windows. Round-arched doorway flanked by single
windows, then elliptical arched carriage entrances with
enriched pediments. Beyond, bays with 3 windows, then further
carriage entrances with flat gables. End bays with a window to
left and door to right.
Returns have pedimented carriage entrances flanked by round
arches. Right return has an attached boundary railing with
square gate piers. Porte cochere has glazed iron truss roof.
To right, police office, domestic style, 2 storeys, L-plan.
Attached to its left return, a cabmens' shelter, wooden, with
extensive glazing and lean-to tile roof.
Booking hall has polychrome bands and similar Baroque detail.
3 round-arched openings flanked by doorways, then by wider
arched openings. Above, 5 round windows. INTERIOR: glazed
tile, has paired Doric pilasters, round-arched openings and
round windows. Coffered ceiling with central glazed barrel
vault. Diocletian end windows.
At the rear, a covered footway spanning the tracks, with a
staircase and lift tower at each end.
Platforms 1-5 have mainly single storey buildings with Baroque
detailing and round-arched openings with fanlights. 2 storey
block, 10 bays, on platform 2/3. Continuous canopies with
renewed sheet steel roofs and wooden valances, carried on
riveted lattice girders and cantilever brackets. Riveted steel
stanchions with cast-iron bases. Footbridge spanning platforms
and tracks, with glazed cross-braced structure and roof.
Platform buildings retain most of their original detail.
INTERIOR: buffet on platform 4/5 has original terracotta
ornament, painted over, including pilasters, chimneypiece and
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: