You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 455364  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 455364
Location: CITY HALL, BARKERS POOL (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 June 2002
Date listed: 16 January 1981
Date of last amendment: 16 January 1981
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3587SWBARKER'S POOL784-1/24/59(North side)

SHEFFIELD SK3587SW BARKER'S POOL 784-1/24/59 (North side) 16/01/81 City Hall GV II* Public hall. 1920-1934, with alterations 1984. By E Vincent Harris. Ashlar with asphalt flat roofs. Classical Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, moulded cornices, coped parapets. 3 storeys plus basement; 11 x 11 bays. Windowless cubic central block with modillion cornice with lower attachments in 2 steps on each side. South front has a portico of 8 giant Corinthian columns in antis, the entablature carried around the pylons to each side. Under the portico, 3 moulded round-arched entrances with glazed screens and fanlights, protected by crested wrought-iron gates. 3 storey returns have cross casements on the lower floors, the ground floor windows having moulded surrounds and cornices. Upper windows are smaller 2-light casements. Right return has a rusticated basement with multiple keystones to the openings, and in the centre, 3 round-headed entrances with rusticated surrounds. Above them, 3 second floor windows with balustraded balconies. At each end, a corniced single storey square pavilion with a round-headed doorway with rusticated surround. Left return has similar fenestration without a basement, and a small central door flanked by single larger doorways with fanlights and coats of arms on the transoms. On either side, 4 windows, and beyond, a plain double doorway. At each end a square pavilion with round-headed doorway, like those to the right return. At the rear, a rusticated apse with giant square Corinthian columns rising above the level of the building and carrying a heavy entablature. In each bay, a square window. In the centre, 3 double doors with keystones, flanked by a cross casement in each bay. INTERIOR has a full width round-arched entrance hall with 3 saucer domes with decoration by George Kruger Gray, and a balustraded barrel vaulted gallery. Oval main hall has 2 tiers of horseshoe balconies and elaborate shallow domed coffered ceiling with large oval rooflight. Semicircular Memorial Hall has a balcony with end piers topped with gilt lamps in the form of animals. Under the balcony, a continuous strip of square openings and 3 doors. Basement ballroom has a vaulted foyer with a double arcade of giant Doric columns, 3 x 7 bays. On either side, similar 7 bay arcades with square end pilasters flanking round-arched entrances. Entrance has 2 piers in antis, flanking the double doors. Enriched cross beam ceiling with 6 louvred lamps. Side passages have 3 pairs of doors leading to similarly decorated side rooms. Corridors have faience tiling. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 453).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.