© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
HERITAGE HOUSE, INFIRMARY ROAD (south side)
SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
02 October 2002
08 September 1970
Date of last amendment:
12 December 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK3488SW INFIRMARY ROAD
784-1/13/447 (South side)
08/09/70 Heritage House
(Formerly Listed as:
Royal Infirmary (original block with
south-east and south-west wings))
Infirmary, now offices. 1793-97. By John Rawsthorne.
South-east return wing in the same style, 1883-84. By John
Dodsley Webster. Restored and with alterations c1988. Ashlar
with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs with 5 truncated
EXTERIOR: ground and first floor sillbands, string course,
cornice and blocking course. 3 storeys plus basements; 13 x 13
windows. Windows are mainly 12 pane sashes. Slightly
projecting centre, 3 windows, with pediment containing clock.
Central window with moulded surround and cornice on brackets.
On either side, wings with 4 windows. Projecting hipped end
pavilions with 3 storey bow windows with lead semi-domes.
Central windows have moulded surrounds and cornices on
brackets. Second floor windows are 6-pane sashes. Ground floor
has central 4 columned Doric portico with dentilled cornice,
covering a glazed door with overlight, flanked by niches with
figures. On either side, a round-headed recess with a sash.
Beyond, on either side, 4 similar recesses with sashes. Bow
windows have pedimented central windows flanked by single
Return wing, to left, has a centre projecting in 2 steps, with
pediment and parapet. Central first floor window has pediment
on scroll brackets. Central second floor window is a
tripartite sash. All the windows in the centre have moulded
surrounds. Flanking wings have four 12 pane sashes. 4 column
Doric portico has cornice and shaped blocking course. Ground
floor has on either side 4 round-headed recesses, each with a
12 pane sash. Right return has 4 windows on each floor, the
ground floor windows in round-headed recesses.
Main block rear elevation is similar to the front, with
pediment containing clock. Central first floor window has
bracketed cornice and smaller splayed flanking lights. 4
column Doric portico with plain cornice, with C20 glazed
double door and overlight. On either side, a 12 pane sash in a
Wings have four 12 pane sashes on each floor. Right return has
projecting central block, 5 windows, with heavy cornice and
coped parapet. On the first and second floors, two 12 pane
sashes, then 2 small sashes, then another 12 pane sash. 4
column Doric portico with cornice and C20 glazed doors, with a
single 12 pane sash in each side. Returns have a single small
window on each floor. Wings have four 12 pane sashes on each
floor. Right end has a tripartite sash on each floor, the
first floor one pedimented, the second floor with a gabled
surround, the ground floor one with a cornice and Doric piers
in antis. Left return has 2 windows on each floor. Left end
has a tripartite sash on the first floor with a pediment, and
on the second floor a Venetian window. Ground floor has a
tripartite sash in a round-headed recess.
INTERIOR: main range has vaulted entrance hall with 2 Doric
columns to inner hall. Barrel vaulted lengthwise corridor has
pilastered walls and corniced doorcases. At either end, a
round stairwell with cantilevered oval winder stone stair with
iron stick balusters and ramped scrolled handrail.