You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 469349  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 469349
Location: WESTCOTT INFANT SCHOOL, GOODCHILD ROAD
  WOKINGHAM, WOKINGHAM, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 28 June 2004
Date listed: 24 June 1998
Date of last amendment: 24 June 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 86 NW WOKINGHAM GOODCHILD ROAD 1886/10/10010 Wescott Infant School GV II Alternatively known as: SCHOOL ROAD (west side). School, with two play-ground shelters. Opened 1906; later C20 alterations. By Edmund Fisher (London). Red brick in English bond with pebble-dash render; plain tile roof with corniced brick stacks. 1 storey with partial 2nd floor and cellar. H plan, having 4 parallel gabled ranges with transverse roof at centre, presenting 4 x 4-bay elevations. In Arts and Crafts style, having: plinth; wide corner pilasters with deep dentilled cornices; side-bays defined by quoined brick strips; half-glazed doors with glazing bars below fanlights with radial glazing bars; wooden windows with architraves and sashes of 12, 15, or 18 panes, and some large mullion-and-transom windows of paired or tripled sashes with 9-pane windows over; some oculi with radial glazing bars and keyed brick architraves; tile cill strings; moulded barge-boards; flat-roofed dormers with 2-light, 12-pane windows. Principal (south-east) elevation: outer bays each have 3 windows with oculus over and porch to inner return with entrance to return and small side-window; inner bays have 3 windows, larger at centre, and at roof-crossing over each is a louvred wooden cupola with leaded dome and ball finial. 3 chimneys to right side, one to left side, and one between left-hand bays. Rear similar, the outer bays with cambered brick arches to ground-floor windows, the left bay masked by flat-roofed single-storey addition, and with Ipswich window to gable. At centre, narrow window below gabled tile-hung bellcote on shaped wooden brackets with small bell. Returns each have two central gabled bays with larger, transomed, windows flanked by narrow windows. Interior: light and airy. At the centre, there were originally movable partitions to allow use either as class-room or as a larger hall (now used as dining hall). Many of the original fittings remain, including part-glazed doors; part-glazed partitions in central area; parquet floors; class-room cupboards (some doors removed) and wall-mounted black-boards with side-cupboards; old radiators; dog-leg stair up to 2nd-floor room; fireplace with decorative metal grate in this room and to present staff-room. In playground to rear are two contemporary shelters: red brick in Flemish bond with 1940s pink-brick sections at sides of front wall; mono-pitch roofs with corrugated sheeting. Each 1 storey, 6 bays. Open-fronted having timber posts on chamfered padstones and arch braces to wall-plate. Inside each is a bracketed wooden bench along rear wall. A well-designed and executed early-C20 school in the Arts and Crafts style.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.