© Lorna Freeman
SPUR WALL AND WATER TOWER, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
01 March 2006
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NW CITY WALLS
595-1/1/101 Spur wall and Water Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Spur wall from Bonewaldesthorne Tower (qv) to the Water Tower,
and the Water Tower. 1322-6. By John Helpstone. Approx 37m
long and 3.3m wide. Coursed red sandstone rubble.
EXTERIOR: a segmental archway at ground level through the
wall. A stone landing at Boneswaldesthorne Tower, a stair
totalling 44 stone steps with an intermediate half-landing 6m
long leads to the main link to the Water Tower. The parapets
to the spur wall have probably the only surviving example of
medieval crenellation on the walls; on the half landing
crenels were converted to embrasures, probably for cannon
during the Civil War. A panel on the north parapet is
inscribed INVENIT AUT EXCIT.
The Water Tower was built at Chester's expense to command the
medieval port, then immediately adjoining, for 100 pounds.
Circular with a slightly battered solid lower stage and 2
stages containing chambers; the total height to the crown of
the parapet is approx 15m or 50 feet. Loops to the lower
chamber; square turret facing City Wall with garderobe at
north corner; loops to upper storey; band at rampart level;
INTERIOR: part-glazed Gothick double doors to 5 stone steps
down to octagonal chamber with arched alcoves to entrance and
to loops;; octagonal keel-moulded rib-vault springing directly
from corners. Spiral stair of 23 stone steps lit by 2 loops to
octagonal upper chamber, vaulted as lower chamber and with
blocked loops; opening of uncertain date, to north-east.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-:
94-95; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E:
Cheshire: 1971-: 155; Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record:
Collens J: Chester City: 3007/2/1 & 2).