© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
MORGANS MOUNT, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
07 October 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NW CITY WALLS
595-1/1/106 Morgan's Mount
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Rectangular watch tower and possibly emplacement for Civil War
cannon. 1640s. Red sandstone coursed rubble. The tower is
rectangular. The chamber has a pair of barred openings with
chamfered square divider of stone, facing west and a simple
opening facing north. An L-shaped stone stair with 2 flights
of 5 stone steps leads to the roof which forms a viewing
platform which has a stone parapet surmounted by a simple iron
railing, with an L-shaped stone bench at its north-east
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally called the Raised Square Platform,
this item is said to have been named Morgan's Mount after
Capt. William Morgan or his son Edward, supposed commanders of
the Royalist garrison during the Civil War.
(Collens: Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: 3007/2/5;
Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-:
85; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire:
1971-: 155; Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J:
Chester City: 3007/1/2).