© Lorna Freeman
PART OF CITY WALL FROM NORTHGATE TO PHOENIX TOWER, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
01 March 2006
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NW CITY WALLS
595-1/1/109 Part of City Wall from Northgate to
28/07/55 Phoenix Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Length of City Walls comprising masonry of the east half of
the north wall of the Roman legionary fortress. Late C1 to
early C2 and possibly later, medieval wall late C11 to early
C12 converted to a raised promenade 1702 to 1708 and
spasmodically repaired. Purple-grey Bunter sandstone Roman
ashlar and medieval and later softer red sandstone coursed
rubble. The features of exceptional interest are 2 full-height
portions of the probably Hadrianic Roman wall-face to the then
turf rampart, behind. The west portion of the masonry is based
on bedrock, up to 13 courses high and 35 ashlar stones long
and has the moulded Roman cornice immediately beneath the
former Roman and, at the same level, present parapet. The east
portion is up to 11 courses high and 42 ashlar stones long.
The wall faces the Shropshire Union Canal in a rock-cut
deepening of the former Roman and medieval ditch. There may be
some Roman ashlar in the canted north-east corner of the wall
adjacent to Phoenix Tower (qv). The Roman wall-face is
battered, supposedly having gradually moved back as the turf
rampart behind it contracted. The medieval and post medieval
masonry shows numerous repairs.
This length of the City Wall is approx 375m long and 2m wide.
(Strickland TJ: Roman Chester: Nelson: 1984-1986: PASSIM;
Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City:
3000/1/7; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E:
Cheshire: 1971-: 155).