© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
PHOENIX TOWER, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
23 September 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NE CITY WALLS
595-1/2/110 Phoenix Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Also known as: King Charles' Tower.
North-east corner tower on City Walls. Probably of C13 origin,
altered 1613, damaged 1644-6 during the Civil War, largely
rebuilt 1658 and during C18; repaired C19 and C20. Red coursed
sandstone with pyramidal grey slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 4 stages, the lower 2, of 14 and 12 courses refaced
in tooled sandstone, are beneath the level of the wall walk
and have a diminishing batter, solid or with no access to the
interior. The upper stages are of eroded coursed rubble with a
coved string above each stage. The third stage has a
round-arched boarded door to the wall-walk, loops and an
external iron-gated stone stair of 3 winders and 13
rectangular steps carried on a corbelled half-arch projecting
beyond the plane of the wall. Above the doorway to the lower
chamber the carved phoenix dated 1613 is the emblem of the
City Guild of Painters, Glaziers, Embroiderers and Stationers
who occupied the tower as a meeting place. The fourth stage
has a boarded door and four 3-light casements leaded with
octagonal and lozenge panes. A plaque above the door states
that King Charles stood on the tower on 24th September 1645 to
see his army defeated at Rowton Moor. The roof has leaded hips
and an ornate weather-vane.
INTERIOR: the lower chamber is octagonal with cornice and
radial ribs to vaulted ceiling. The upper chamber has exposed
The north-east tower of the legionary fortress underlies the
(Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City:
3000/1/12 & /2/7).