© Lorna Freeman
PART OF CITY WALL FROM PHOENIX TOWER TO KALEYARD GATE, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
01 March 2006
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NE CITY WALLS
595-1/2/111 Part of City Wall from Phoenix Tower
28/07/55 to Kaleyard Gate
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Northern part of east wall of Roman legionary fortress and
medieval city. Late C1 to early C2 and late C11 to early C12,
converted to a raised promenade 1702-8 and repaired in various
periods. Purple-grey Bunter sandstone Roman ashlar or re-used
Roman stones; medieval and later softer red sandstone coursed
rubble. The medieval and later stonework has been subject to
repair in various periods.
The portion of wall in this item is approx 365m long and 2m
wide, with approx 14-course outer face.
A probably C18 flight of 11 steps, 5 being winders, with a
simple wrought-iron rail links Abbey Street to the wall just
north of Kaleyard Gate (qv).
(Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City:
3000/1/14; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester:
Edinburgh: 1979-: 80-81).