© Lorna Freeman
PART OF CITY WALL WITH TOWER BASE FROM KALEYARD GATE TO EASTGATE, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
01 March 2006
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NE CITY WALLS
595-1/2/113 Part of City Wall with tower base
28/07/55 from Kaleyard Gate to Eastgate
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Part of east wall of Roman legionary fortress and of medieval
city. Late C1 to early C2 and late C11 to early C12, converted
to a raised promenade 1702-8 and repaired in various periods.
Purple-grey Roman ashlar masonry and softer red sandstone
rubble, medieval and later.
Roman masonry up to 4 courses high and 15m long forms the
projecting base to the wall north of Kaleyard Gate (qv).
Further south a portion of Roman masonry not closely
accessible when inspected rises to a maximum of 6 courses
standing a little proud of the medieval wall face.
The internal face of the wall immediately south of Kaleyard
Gate has a 5-metre run of continuous corbelling, formerly at
the base of the inner timber palisade to the rampart,
immediately below the wall-walk level. A ramp parallel with
the wall leads up from Abbey Street, stone-paved and with red
sandstone parapet with blocked opening of former doorway to
Cathedral Close. Along the Close the wall has panels of iron
rails between buttress-shaped piers.
Steps down leading to Frodsham Street at the site of a drum
tower of which the foundations are exposed, probably 1285-95.
Modern stone steps south of the Cathedral bell-tower lead down
to St Werburgh Street.
The portion of wall in this item is approx 370m long and from
2-3m wide. Archaeological excavation in 1991 revealed the
stone-faced outer ditch, to be built over.
(Strickland TJ: Roman Chester: Chester: 1984-1986: PASSIM;
Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City:
3000/1/18 & /2/10).