© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
PART OF CITY WALL FROM EASTGATE TO THIMBLEBYS TOWER AND ATTACHED GRAVESTONES, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
20 September 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE CITY WALLS
595-1/4/115 Part of City Wall from Eastgate to
28/07/55 Thimbleby's Tower and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Part of east wall of Roman Legionary Fortress and of medieval
city. Late C1 to early C2 and late C11 to early C12, converted
to a raised promenade 1702-8 and repaired in various periods.
Purple-grey sandstone Roman ashlar masonry and softer red
sandstone medieval and later coursed rubble. Some of the Roman
stones may be reused. A slightly projecting plinth, probably
Roman, behind the Trustee Savings Bank. A probably Roman
plinth and 2 courses of ashlar behind the Wesley Methodist
Church (Chester EM, qv), with C19 rebuilding above. Some
refacing in brick. An L-shaped ashlar stair of 14 and 20 steps
towards St John Street. The inner face of the wall is partly
refaced in brick in the northern portion, with blank arches
and 8 circular apertures; a 1960s concrete footbridge from the
wall walk to the Grosvenor shopping precinct.
3 eroded C19 gravestones with a frieze above inscribed
WESLEYAN CHAPEL are attached to the wall, to the rear of the
Wesley Methodist Church.
(Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City: