© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
THIMBLEBYS TOWER, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
20 September 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE CITY WALLS
595-1/4/116 Thimbleby's Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Formerly known as: Wolf's Tower CITY WALLS.
Part of drum tower. Probably C13, partly demolished 1644-6
during the Civil War siege of Chester, probably modified
1702-8 during conversion of the wall walk to a raised
promenade and repaired 1879; altered 1994-5 by P de Figueredo
for Chester City Council. Coursed red sandstone rubble. The
present tower appears to be the outer, east, part of a drum
tower whose upper storeys were destroyed in the Civil War.
Semi-octagonal in plan. 3 loops in the lower chamber and
rib-springers of its former vault at wall-walk level. Some
indication of possible machicolation beneath parapet.
Alterations in 1994-5: removal of stone parapet between
wall-walk and tower and insertion of an oak-framed
polycarbonate screen with tile-hung gable above; steeply
pitched roof rising directly from the tower's parapet masks
its former defensive features and purpose.
(Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City:
3007/2/12; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester:
Edinburgh: 1979-: 142).