© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
PART OF CITY WALL FROM THE NEWGATE TO BARNABYS TOWER, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
20 September 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE CITY WALLS
595-1/4/121 Part of City Wall from the Newgate
28/07/55 to Barnaby's Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Southern part of the east side of the City Walls. Late C11 to
early C12; damaged 1644-6 during the Civil War, converted to a
raised promenade 1702-8 and repaired during various periods.
Coursed red sandstone rubble. Parts have plinth with weathered
cap. Added buttresses; some patching.
This part of the walls is approx 290m long, the wall walk
being approx 2m wide.