© Ms Naomi J. Hughes
PART OF CITY WALL FROM BARNABYS TOWER TO TOWER EAST OF BRIDGEGATE, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Ms Naomi J. Hughes
20 September 2002
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4065NE CITY WALLS
595-1/6/123 Part of City Wall from Barnaby's
28/07/55 Tower to tower east of Bridgegate
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
East part of south side of City Walls. Late C11 to early C12,
converted to raised promenade 1702-8 and repaired during
various periods. Coursed red sandstone rubble. This part of
the City Walls forms a retaining wall, ground level on the
inner side being equal to that of the wall walk, but on the
outer side 7m below the wall walk. The wall is partly built on
outcropping sandstone bedrock, with some 24 courses of stone
beneath the parapet. The wall walk descends by 6 flights of 3
stone steps along its angled south-east corner, known as the
Wishing Steps, west of which the wall faces the River Dee. A
sunk panel of yellow sandstone is inscribed THE EMBANKMENT OF
THE RIVER FROM SOUTER'S LANE TO THIS POINT WAS FORMED AND
PLANTED WITH TREES AT THE EXPENSE OF CHARLES BROWN, MAYOR OF
THIS CITY 1880-1. Brown was, with his brother, proprietor of
the early department store Browns of Chester.
The Recorder's Steps which lead down from this length of the
walls are listed separately.
This length of the City Walls is approx 275m long, and the
wall walk 2m wide.