© Tim Belcher
PART OF CITY WALL FROM COUNTY HALL (NOT INCLUDED) TO GROSVENOR ROAD, CITY WALLS
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
01 March 2006
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4065NW CITY WALLS
595-1/5/129 Part of City Wall from County Hall
28/07/55 (not included) to Grosvenor Road
(Formerly Listed as:
City Walls & Towers incl.
foundations of SE angle Roman
Fortress wall & tower)
Length of City Wall. Late C11 to early C12, converted to a
raised promenade 1702-8 and realigned early C19 adjoining the
former gaol, the site now of County Hall (not included);
repaired during various periods. Red coursed sandstone rubble.
Approx 500m long, this portion of the medieval City Walls
includes the south-west angle; the wall-walk was realigned
south for a further 50m to accommodate the former county gaol,
where the walk is supported on 11 arches diminishing in height
as it slopes down to ground level. At the south-west angle the
wall stands on outcropping sandstone, and has buttresses. Half
way between the angle and Grosvenor Road is a round-arched
opening, 1885, with double wrought-iron gates.
Ground level on the inner side of the wall is close to the
level of the Row walk. On its outer face the wall, where not
banked against, is up to 19 courses below parapet.