© Dr John L. Wishlade
THE EASTGATE AND CLOCK, EASTGATE STREET AND ROW
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Dr John L. Wishlade
30 June 2001
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE EASTGATE STREET AND ROW
595-1/4/168 The Eastgate and Clock
(Formerly Listed as:
Archway in place of former gatehouse. 1768-9. Probably by
Hayden or Heyden, Surveyor of Buildings for Lord Grosvenor; at
the expense of Richard Lord Grosvenor. Surmounted by
wrought-iron clock tower 1899 by John Douglas, at the expense
of Colonel Edward Evans-Lloyd and public subscription. Red
Basket carriage archway with rusticated jambs and voussoirs; a
small round pedestrian arch of smooth stone to each side; to
north a segmental half-arch used as a shop since 1884. Arms of
the County Palatine, sword of justice and 3 sheaves, on the
inner keystone; frieze-band inscribed THIS GATE BEGUN
MDCCLXVIII JOHN KELSAL ESQ. MAYOR: FINISHED MDCCLXIX CHA.
BOSWELL ESQ. MAYOR; arms of Richard Lord Grosvenor with motto
NOBILITATE VIRTUS NON STEMMA CHARACTER on outer keystone;
frieze band inscribed ERECTED AT THE EXPENSE OF RICHARD LORD
GROSVENOR A.D. MDLXIX. A modillion cornice on each face;
ornate wrought-iron railings, 1899, to Wall walk. Ornate
wrought-iron pavilion with round arch to each face supported
on open-work wrought-iron pylons and "buttresses" carries
4-dial clock by WB Joyce of Whitchurch. The plinth to the
clock is inscribed THIS CLOCK TOWER WAS ERECTED IN
COMMEMORATION OF THE 60TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF VICTORIA, QUEEN
AND EMPRESS (east); ANTIQUI COLANT ANTIQUUM DIERUM: B.C.
ROBERTS, MAYOR 1897; J.C. HOLMES, MAYOR 1898 (west); THIS
CLOCK WAS ERECTED BY EDWARD EVANS-LLOYD CITIZEN AND FREEMAN
1897 (south) and ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION & COMPLETED
A.D. 1899 H. STOLTEFORTH MAYOR (north); beneath each clock
face 18:97, gilt; filigree corner panels; above each clockface
V.R., gilt; cupola roof of copper surmounted by weathervane
with lions rampant or on gules ground.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Assembly minutes leave some doubt as to
the architect of this item. The Corporation demolished the old
gatehouse and were to have financed the new arch. The Assembly
first employed a Mr Turner of Hawarden to prepare plans and
estimates; he was Joseph Turner, later resident in Chester and
architect of the Watergate and the Bridgegate. The relevant
entries in the Assembly minutes are:
2/10/1767 The Eastgate, building and premises adjoining,
belonging to the Corporation are to be surveyed by Mr. Turner
of Hawarden... He is to draw a plan of the proposed new
buildings and an estimate of their expense and of taking down
the old Gate and building, to be laid before the next
22/2/1768 Mr Hayden, surveyor at the building of Lord
Grosvenor is to be desired to draw a plan of a new arch to be
erected over the Eastgate for the next Assembly.
29/2/1768 The gateway with an arch giving passage over the
walls according to Mr Hayden's plan, now subscribed by the
Mayor, is to be erected...
22/3/1768 The Corporation is to tender fifteen guineas to Mr.
Turner of Hawarden as satisfaction for his plans, estimates
and expenses for rebuilding the Eastgate, but if he refused to
accept the sum and commenced a suit against the Treasurers for
recovery of any money for his plans, etc, the Town Clerk was
to defend it at the Corporation's expense.
17/1/1772 It was ordered that five guineas be paid to Mr.
Heyden as a compliment for his trouble in supervising the new
construction of the Eastgate... elegantly completed at the
sole expense of the Lord Grosvenor.
(Chester City Assembly: Assembly Book: 1725-1775: 1767,68,72;
Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-: