© Mr Michael J Tuck
THE BRIDGEGATE, LOWER BRIDGE STREET
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Mr Michael J Tuck
26 March 2001
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4065NE LOWER BRIDGE STREET
595-1/6/246 The Bridgegate
(Formerly Listed as:
Archway in place of City gatehouse. 1781-2. By Joseph Turner.
For Chester City Corporation. Yellow sandstone ashlar.
Classical. Segmental arch over carriageway with a round
pedestrian archway in each projecting abutment. Chamfered
rustication beneath impost level and in reveals and intrados.
A recessed panel in entablature above each face of each
pedestrian arch: over north face of east arch inscribed The
Old Gate having long been inconvenient was taken down A.D.
MDCCLXXXI JOSEPH SNOW MAYOR THOMAS AMERY: HENRY HEGG
Treasurers; over north face of west arch: This Gate was begun
April MDCCLXXXII and finished December the same Year: THOMAS
PATTON Esquire Mayor: THOMAS COTGREAVE Esquire: HENRY HESKETH
Esquire Treasurers; over south face of west arch carved
fasces; over south face of east arch a carved balance.
Joseph Turner was also architect of the Watergate, 1788 (qv).
(Chester City Assembly Books: 1781-1782).