© Mr Michael J Tuck
THE WATERGATE, WATERGATE STREET AND ROW
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Mr Michael J Tuck
26 August 2001
28 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
06 August 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SW WATERGATE STREET AND ROW
595-1/3/404 The Watergate
(Formerly Listed as:
Archway through City Wall on site of medieval gate. 1788-90.
By Joseph Turner. For Chester City Council who had bought the
sergeantry of the gate from the Earl of Derby in 1778. Red
sandstone ashlar. The basket arch has a ring of short
rusticated voussoirs; the wings are rusticated below simple,
slightly projecting imposts; turned stone balusters to
parapets of the wall walk, with pedimented central panel, an
intermediate panel to each side and a parapet above each wing
finished with a panelled abutment. A postern south of the main
arch has a brick barrel vault. The drinking fountain, now dry,
fixed to the north abutment is dated 1857.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-:
97-98; Clerk to Chester City Corporation Assembly: Assembly
Book: 1788-1790: AB5 F.F.11 & 22).